ELL (English Language Learners) Resource Team
According to Iowa Code section 280.4, a limited English proficient student is defined as follows: "a student's language background is in a language other than English, and the student's proficiency in English is such that the probability of the student's academic success in an English-only classroom is below that of an academically successful peer with an English language background." The term English Language Learners (ELL) will replace the term Limited English Proficient (LEP).
GWAEA Speech-Language Pathologist/ELL Consultant
Select registration, compliance and NCLB forms for parent communication available in 23 languages. Available to school district employees in Iowa at no charge.
RHL School - features free original grammar worksheets for teachers and parent-teachers to copy for their kids. Use them for teaching, reinforcement, and review.
Special Education Technology British Columbia - pictures communication boards and social stories.
Read Write Think - educators and students access to resources in reading and language arts instruction.
1-Language.com - ESL site for studying English and learning English online, including ESL Forums, ESL Chat, online TOEIC tests, ESL Materials and much more.
Purdue Online Writing Lab - Different materials for English as a Second Language (ESL) students and teachers, which include resource pages, handouts, and exercises. You can also get printer-friendly and Adobe PDF versions of these handouts and exercises in our printer-friendly handouts section. You can also get a printer friendly web page or PDF version of each handout or exercise by clicking the links on each page. Over 60 other handouts and exercises concerning grammar are also available in our grammar handouts section.
Activities for ESL Students - Quizzes, tests, exercises and puzzles to help you learn English as a Second Language (ESL). This project of The Internet TESL Journal (iteslj.org) has thousands of contributions by many teachers.
ESLgold.com- Looking for free materials for studying English? Need something interesting for your next class? Want to talk to someone in English?
Parent ELL links
Iowa's Statewide parent Information - Internet Resources
Iowa's Statewide Parent Information - Cultural Competence
References and Resources on International Adoption
Los Niños en Su Casa - in Spanish
Reading Rockets - website with Spanish and English available with information for parents to support their children
Sites for Parents - links for many sites
Iowa Center for Immigrant Leadership and Integration - resource lists for families
Washington Learning Systems - free parent education handouts
Pre-K Pages - includes resources and picture supports for early ESL
IES What Works Clearinghouse - What works clearinghouse for ELL
The Help!Kit: A Resource Guide for Secondary Teachers of Migrant English Language Learners - This guide is a compendium of the latest research about best practices in teaching English language learners in content area courses. It is the middle and high school level sequel to Help! They Don't Speak English Starter Kit for Primary Teachers.
If your English Language Learner has no English language proficiency, AEA resources to consider include:
• Native language resources
• ClipArt (online, funded through AEA’s) available to support making your own visuals.
If your English Language Learner has developed oral English language proficiency skills, but is a non-reader, AEA resources to consider include:
• Videos (a rich resource for any discipline. A student not ready to read about the Civil War might learn much about the Civil War via a heavily visual format).
• CD ROMs
• Books on tapes
If your English Language Learner is a limited English language reader, AEA resources to consider include:
• Closed Caption Videos
• High Interest/Low Vocabulary books (e.g.High interest fiction set 01 #178248, High interest fiction set 02 #178362)
• Books on tapes
Materials available for checkout from Grant Wood AEA’s ELL collection. Contact Lynn Tiemann at 319-399-6811.
• TELPA screening version of the ELDA
• IDEA Proficiency Test (IPT) for ELL placement decisions- preschool through 12th IPT Spanish oral version for oral language K-6
• Learner English- provides information about impacts of native languages on learning English
• “Our Kids: English Language Learners in Your Classroom”- DVD training to provide information about serving English Language Learners in your schools
• Culturally Proficient Instruction: A Guide for People Who Teach
• Classroom Strategies for the English Language Learner- a guide for accelerating language and literacy development
• Scaffolding Reading Experiences for English-Language Learners- information for grades 1 through 9
• Understanding Your Refugee and Immigrant Students- An Educational, Cultural and Linguistic Guide
• Spanish and English Language Leveled Books available for check out from email@example.com
• National Geographic Language, Literacy and Vocabulary adapted materials for science and social studies units
The Stuttering Foundation - multilingual information on stuttering for families and professionals.
ELL Webinars - Archived
ELL Professional Development Opportunities
Courses and Workshops
Kirkwood Paraeducator- Level II ELL Endorsement Fall, 2014
Grant Wood AEA Professional Development
Paraeducators Level 2 ELL Certificate